Thursday, December 9, 2010

Vegetarian Red Beans & Rice- oxymoronic?



A dear friend taught me how to make red beans and rice one winter. It ignited an obsession with Southern food, a food genre I had never been exposed to living here in the Midwest. Being me, it was only inevitable that I would attempt to make a vegan version of it. I am here today to report my results:

3 cans red beans. Put the juice in.
(Dried are better, but you have to boil them for and hour -in broth- or soak them overnight. I was hungry.)
4 bay leaves
1 large sweet onion
4 cloves garlic
1 green bell pepper
1 seranno pepper (1/2 or less if you don't like spicy)
1 jalapeno pepper

Here is the smoke:
Wortchshire sauce
1 adobo pepper (in chipotle sauce, from the can)
liquid smoke (cost $2 !)
---all to taste--- I'd say about a tablespoon of each
Salt/Pepper

boil it up with 1 cup brown or white rice and 3/4 cup vegetable broth for about 45 minutes.

Top with chopped tomatoes and sour cream if you choose.

This recipe I created turned out much better than I had expected. I feared it being bland in lieu of the salted pork belly and sausage, or fake smokey. It was well rounded and tasty, like Zatarans but from scratch. I am pleased.

*A special thanks to Kevin Murray.

4 comments:

  1. I forgot to mention that if you are vegan, get a vegan Wort sauce, but I think vegans know this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try making Okra... Best southern food ever! I lived on it when I was in Oklahoma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Food, glorious food! So glad you are blogging about it. I have been thinking about Christmas and cooking and baking. I was thinking of doing a traditional dinner Christmas Night or Eve and a more daring one for the other night. Like maybe traditional Cuban food for Noche Buena or an Asian fingerfood menu. Also thinking of baking some new treats. Will you help? What interests you?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think those ideas are great! I like to research and think about what I want to try, so I shall research! I do make some Japanese fried potato things if we want that to be part of the finger food.

    ReplyDelete